Sunday, August 18, 2013

What did a typical school lunch look like in the 1960's?

school bags in the 70s
 on FREEDOMFIGHTERS FOR AMERICA - THIS ORGANIZATION EXPOSING CRIME AND ...
school bags in the 70s image



Just a gir


I need to know what was included in a school lunch (as in the ones provided by the school) in the 1960's.
1970's?
1980's?
1990's?



Answer
Schools did not provide us lunch. The family did. We walked home for lunch and then walked back to school. (elementary school) Later on in elementary school, we stayed to eat lunch. Things were changing.

A typical lunch could be peanut butter and jelly on Wonder Bread. Baloney. Ham and cheese. It really wasn't a lot different from today. Sometimes we brought chicken soup (Cambells or Lipton) in the red plaid thermos. Sometimes we had a homemade brownie or cookie. We had metal lunchboxes. Sometimes we had paper bags. You got a bottle of milk and everyone saved the cardboard bottle caps.
Later we had milk cartons just like today.
Early 70s cafeteria lunch not unlike today. On Fridays I bought lunch. (Milk was 4 cents. I forgot what lunch cost.) Friday lunch was a bready pizza, brownie, cole slaw, milk. Just like today.
That's just one person's story.

When did the modern backpack start becoming popular in school and in general?




DarkSerge5


I am curious about when the modern backpack really started becoming common in schools and among the general population. When I say "modern", I mean what we think of when we think of backpacks today--polyester/nylon/et cetera bags with multiple pockets, zippers, and the like.


Answer
About the time I started college in 1975, I saw students using backpacks in some instances. I couldn't give you an exact date but I would say they started becoming a popular way of toting books in the very late 60s and early 70s. They were a mix of canvas and nylon in those days.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What did a typical school lunch look like in the 1960's?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment