Saturday, September 14, 2013

Scoliosis brace information/advice/help?

school bags junior infants
 on Design your own custom t-shirts & apparel!
school bags junior infants image



Mizea


I'm 16, and recently found out that I have Scoliosis. Around 30 or 35 curve, I don't remember the exact number.

I'm starting a new school soon and I'm already nervous about that. Soon after I start school I have to visit someone for it. My mom read up on it and said I might have to wear a brace. I don't know anything about braces. I've looked up pictures and they seem to range from corset looking to ugly and bulky or wraps or down right scary.

What are modern braces like? I wouldn't think they hurt but are they uncomfortable? Do they show under clothes? Will it affect my asthma? I'm nervous and don't really know what to expect.

I'm not really into sports besides Archery, volleyball and badminton. Will it effect how I play, or if I can?



Answer
Long but I hope it helps.

If the curve is <25 degrees, it can be observed and followed with routine X-rays and measurements. If the curve is 25-40 degrees, a brace may be recommended. If the curve is >40 degrees, then surgery may be recommended.

I wore a Wilmington and Boston. I was 12-13 (8th grade) with the Wilmington, a body cast at 14 (freshman), and 15 (sophomore) with the Boston. With both, I had to wear them for 23 hrs./day. You have to have a strong sense of self and not let it mess with your idea of body image. It's clunky and you don't look/feel like everyone else, but keep in mind why you are wearing it. You want to keep your body as healthy as you can and try to correct your back. Sometimes you do need surgery even with a brace. But in that case the surgical correction would be easier because of the brace.

Here are some more tips from my personal experience:

Liking it...The first few nights, it's hard to fall asleep in the brace. Once you get used to it, sleeping isn't too bad. But now, some days if I'm feeling a little achy, I miss it. You could be lazy and let the brace do the support work your muscles usually do.

You have to have a strong sense of self and not let it mess with your idea of body image. I had a spinal fusion with iliac crest bone graft in 1985 (13 yrs old). I still have a 40 degree curve, a prominent shoulder blade, one shoulder is higher, my hips a little uneven, and rib prominence on one side. But my spine is stable, no breathing or cardiac problems and I carried to pregnancies without a hitch.

The one shoulder is higher makes it easier to sling a shoulder bag on. And those uneven hips...that one that juts out a little more is a perfect resting spot for an infant.

I have no problem wearing backless things. I think I have a great back scar. The hip scar, not so pretty. But everyone, EVERYONE, has problem areas on their body. I'm an RN, I've seen thousands of naked bodies, no one is perfect. Be open with your friends about what's going on. Here are some other famous people who share scoliosis with us: http://www.scoliosis-world.com/famous_peâ¦

Try and see a positive...you have a legitimate reason to go shopping : ) You'll have to adjust your size. Some braces are larger than others, some more visible than others (like the Milwaukee). I wore baby doll tops in warm weather, and sweat shirts and bulky knit sweaters in the cool. Pants and shorts had to go up a size, wear draw string or elastic waists, or you can uses one of those expand a waist button extender things.

Check out maternity or plus size clothes. Target and JCPenny are good places since you can shop both types of clothes at one store. Many designers who design for juniors and ladies also have plus and maternity lines. Maternity is a good choice because only your torso is bigger and maternity clothing is built to have give and room in the body while the fit through the arms and legs doesn't change that much.

Dealing with hot weather...I was only allowed out of my brace for an hour a day. I stayed inside as much as possible (our AC broke one summer, ugh!). Read, go to movies (it's always freezing in our local cinemas), the library, shopping, etc.
-On mild days, I laid on the floor in front of an open sliding glass door, the breeze would blow in a little between the brace and my skinâ¦spent lots of time reading that way.
-Always wore a fitted sleeveless undershirt (A-shirt) under the brace (men's come in packages of 3 and are cheaper than women's).
-On days I was outside, when I came back in I wiped any skin that was under the brace down with rubbing alcohol to remove the sweaty, grimy feeling (get your mom to do your back); wiped down the inside of the brace with alcohol too; and changed into a fresh undershirt.
-I was only allowed out of the brace an hour a day, unless I was in the water swimming. So I swam whenever I could talk my folks into taking me. But you have to be in the water, not just hanging out at the pool.

If you are being treated at a Shriner's Hospital/Clinic, it's absolutely the best place for scoliosis patients under 21! Wherever you are at, ask the docs/nurses if they can arrange for you to visit/talk with other patients. Other places may do this too, but I think Shriner's goes above and beyond for their kids.

Attention Moms..please help!?!?




omg_shoes2


i need help advertising my baby sitting services, I love little kids and am babysitting certified, infant/child cpr certified, first aid certified and a junior lifeguard. i need help advertising please help! i am 15 and in my state you cant get your permit till 16 so far all i have done is put flyers in my area the flyers are in my neighborhood but no response. moms please help me on a good way to advertise and what else i could do to sound more appealing


Answer
Have you thought about going to your school counselor and the other schools in your area? A lot of the kids at my school, (I am a school teacher) get jobs by talking to the counselor. Our counselors get lots of calls for things like babysitting and tutoring. You can also go door to door and talk personally giving the moms a little "resume" about you and maybe even some numbers of some who you have done some babysiting for. You could start off as a mother's helper so that you can play with the children when their mom is home so that she can see that you can do a good job. If you have friends that already babysit, ask if they would introduce you to some of the people that they babysit for and maybe you could babysit with your friend so that the parents could get to know you and the kids can warm up to you. When the kids are happy, the parents will call you back! You can make a babysitting bag with all types of games, make-up, books etc and show the moms what tupes of things that you would like to do with their kids other than watching TV or playing video games. It may take a while to get established as a "professional babysitter". I actually loved the younger babysitters because they still liked or at least didn't mind playing with my children and they were not so prone to be sitting on the phone with a boyfriend the entire time. I Think you are definately old enough, you just have to prove yourself as being responsible. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Scoliosis brace information/advice/help?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment