Sunday, April 20, 2014

Should a child who has arthritis running in the family have a rolling backpack or a carrying backpack?

Q. I have arthritis. And my child wants a carrying backpack for school. But I'm scared to buy her one because I'm afraid that she will develop arthritis. Should I not buy her one or is this not true?


Answer
What form of arthritis do you have?

If you have osteoarthritis then her developing it will no be related to the fact you have. If you have autoimmune arthritis then there is a possibility she will develop it, however this is not high. I've heard children of people with autoimmune arthritis are 5% more likely than the general public of developing arthritis.

Using a rolling backpack rather than a carrying one is not going to make any difference if you're worried about her developing autoimmune arthritis. This is caused by an immune system that attacks itself. If you're worried about osteoarthritis, then the truth is that she will probably develop it regardless. Nearly everyone develops osteoarthritis eventually.

I've seen a number of orthopedic surgeons, physiotherapists, rheumatologists and GPs, none of them have recommended a rolling backpack for me. I've had arthritis since I was 8 years old and it affects my spine.

It's best to make sure her backpack is not too heavy and the weight is evenly distributed across her shoulders. If you can get one with a clip across the stomach (and she'll use it) then this will help spread the weight further.

I hope that's helpful.

.....

My child is carrying too much weight in her backpack - HELP?




Sara S


My daughter doesn't always have a lot of homework, but when she does even I find it difficult to carry her bag. She is 11 years old and is in very good shape, but her backpack is more then she can handle. I have talked to her school and they will not allow roller bags for saftey issues. On a normal day she finishes her homework at school, but there isn't always enough time and she has to bring it home. Can anyone recommend a bag that is better suited for heavy books then the ones you can buy at target or walmart? I don't so much care about the cost, but let's be honest I am single mom who can't afford a $400.00 dollar bag. Any suggestions on a good option please let me know. Thanks.


Answer
If you can, copy each chapter of her book or contact the publisher to see if there's an electronic copy you can purchase. The e-copy could be expensive. Have her carry the current chapter their working on and the next chapter in her bag plus the required notebooks. Use notebooks that can use paper refills because she can take out and file away old notes until finals. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics. For example, a child weighing 100 pounds shouldn't carry more than 20 pounds. Try talking to the school and make the PTA aware of the issues you're concerned about.

Another option is to contact the publisher or look online for second copies of your daughter's books. She could then have one set at school and one at home.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should a child who has arthritis running in the family have a rolling backpack or a carrying backpack?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment