Sunday, May 25, 2014

Question for women holding college degrees (particularly advanced ones)?




CAustin


In analyzing the statistics leading up to the result that there is a deficit of women involved in many of the most interesting and qualified professions in the world, one of the most striking things that jumps out is the tendency of women, much moreso than men, to obtain advanced college degrees but then to never apply them in the field to which their degree pertained - it suggests that one reason for the difference is not that women have difficulty or are disinclined to qualify and educate themselves for these careers, but rather because they're often not inclined to actually apply what they've learned.

So, the question is, is anyone here a woman who holds an advanced degree (or any college degree), but has never directly applied it (e.g. having a Master's in oceanography, but then going back to your hometown to manage a local bank, getting a Ph.D. in economics but then taking over the family business selling furniture, etc.)?

If so, what is the degree (or what are the degrees) you hold, and why did you decide not to go into the field for which you studied? Did it have anything to do with your gender?



Answer
It's not advanced, but, yes, I am one of them women. My BA was in French and Italian. I actually went and lived in both France and Italy so I have a better understanding of the culture and really learn the language. But, what does one do with French and Italian - other than teach?...

When I got out of college I got a job at O'Hare. I was in charge of arrivals and departures for Swiss and Singapore. I mainly interpreted for Immigration and US customs, and gave my crew instructions. Many times you'd see me picking up LOBs (left over bags) from all the idiots who did not hear me make the announcement on the plane: "You MUST clear your bags here, in Chicago. They will be at carousel number..." My voice would have been the one you heard announcing boarding and so on in a few languages - if you happened to be in O'hare - Terminal 5 - prior to August 2001. I liked the job. It was fun and I loved wearing an uniform. I passed all my FAA inspections - never had any issues. It paid crap, however, because I worked for a sub. The Swiss station manager wanted to hire me, but as you know, the company went bankrupt from bailing Sabena out - again. My station manager decided to promote an idiot, so I found another job. I pretty much fell into the stone business.

So I stayed in this business for a while, figured I'd save some money and go back to do a MA. The problem is I don't know in what. You're welcomed to make some suggestions, though I think it will be a while before I can get a student loan given this economy.

I've had friends suggest to me the military, the FBI, the CIA and I did talk to some of them, but, I don't know that it's what I want.

In my case it did have to do with gender somewhat. Most Romanian parents expect you to get married and have children - especially if they are uneducated. It has been an internal struggle which blinded me. I was married twice, but, I am putting that on the back burner for now.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I divorced my last husband, in 2004 I think. He was Romanian and my parents just freaking loved him. My mom basically told me not to come around their house any more. My dad said nothing. So... that, combined with the fact that I hurt my back and winters in Chicago were a b!tch, I moved to Florida. Bad move on my part, but, here I am.

I didn't want to teach high school, which I could have, because I think US kids are very disrespectful. I had no patience for that. Maybe I felt too close in age to them too. I don't know. Right now I have filled out an application with the local school system. I am older, so hopefully wiser. I realize there are some sacrifices I need to make in order to pursue my dreams.

My favorite job, which I did part time while in the stone business, was teaching adults ESOL at the community college. It was rewarding and the students loved me. I never got less than a 91% on my student teacher reviews. What I want to do is go teach abroad - Japan, Korea, UAE - wherever it pays well and it is safe to be a single woman. Saudi, is out of the question, of course, since I can't drive and cab fairs can add up. What's stopping me? The house I have to sell. You know how the market is. My plan was to use the money I make on the house to pay my BA student loan so I can start from zero again. We'll see where that takes me.

I don't know that my case is rare. I guess I should have been less considerate of my parents' feelings and a little more ... selfish. Like I say, part of it had to do with gender, and part of it with money.

But, it is what it is, and, regardless of gender, I am sure everyone has a story.

how to remove your boredom in a plane?




cutiepiezi


hi um i am an 11 year old who desperately always feels bored in a plane ride and i got no psp no mp3 sad i know! i am a school nerd but my friends thinks i am not such a big nerd but kinda cooler than the other kids and i am going to a plane in like 4 more days i got a big bag only me the child my seats and my parents seat are far away and basically that's it i have no sister or brother anyone could give me a tip please the longest gives i give the most points and note this I HATE SLEEPING and i am going from Kuwait to Singapore in Singapore airlines then to Philippines but it will sure take a long time so could you please give some tips in the airport to the airplane then that's it and i need help what to put in my bag thank you

Cortney



Answer
you could eat




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Question for women holding college degrees (particularly advanced ones)?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment