Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I'm doing an assignment for cooking, and I need help?

school bags tenders
 on 20th and 21st Century Biographers There are a couple 20th and 21st ...
school bags tenders image
Q. I'm not too sure if this is the correct section to post this in, but I really need some help. See, for my assignment I need to cook food from an ethnicity other than my own. I chose Jewish foods since Judaism is considered an ethnoreligion.

I was wondering if there are any simple Jewish foods I can make for this. I would have to carry it in my school bag to be presented on the day, so please consider this.

Thanks for any input.


Answer
How about Anasazi Bean Soup? It's very simple to make.

You'll need:
1 package Anasazi beans, washed
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can (about 2 cups) tomatoes, or 1 box of our tomatoes (Pomi from Italy)
1 teaspoon olive oil

Procedure:
Wash beans and pour into pot with 3 times as much water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour.

Then add remaining ingredients. Cook for about 1 hour more, or until beans are tender.

Smoked or other Italian sausage can be added during the last 1/2 hour, if desired. Fabulous done in pressure cooker, using proportions and times as suggested for regular beans.

Best of luck for the assignment!

Just bought a food steamer and a slow cooker?

Q. I'm a college student, very busy going to dental school and I wanted to buy these to help me eat healthier, so people who own these appliances, what are some good, healthy things I can make in my new appliances. They're mini, so can serve one to 3 people. Any favorite recipes?


Answer
When I think of steamers, I think of veggies, which retain more of their nutritive value when they are steamed, but you would have to read up on this. When I want nutritive value in veggies, I eat them raw in salads or I do stir-frys.

I use my slow cooker a lot, primarily to make soup which is so easy to make from scratch in a crockpot. I always have a pot of chicken soup in the fridge, and in winter, I usually have a bean soup in there as well. But the truth is that just about anything you can cook regularly, you can also cook in the crockpot. They are notorious for cooking pot roasts that fall apart and for making stews where the meat is tender and the veggies are not overcooked. You can also make things like caramelized onions in the crockpot and you can make desserts, like cakes, not that I've ever made a cake.

There are tons of recipes across the internet for crockpot cooking, many of them involving cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup out of cans dumped on top of a piece of meat. For me, these recipes usually have too much stuff in them to interest me or I just don't want to get into cooking with canned soups. You just have to come up with the things you enjoy eating and learn to make them in the Crockpot. For instance, if you like pot roast, you could brown the pot roast in the morning with some onions and garlic, then put that in the crockpot and set it on high, pour a little wine on top, stick some potatoes in. Turn it to low when you leave the house. Then when you get home, that will be all cooked and waiting for you. Grab your steamer and steam some fresh veggies while you turn on the TV and unpack your book bag or whatever. Then dish out dinner and eat. The leftover meat can stay in the crockpot. I don't have a microwave and I don't want one. About 2 hours before dinner, I take the chilled crock out of the fridge and put it back in the appliance, turn it on high, and let the crockpot meal heat through that way. You can stew a big roasting chicken, in pieces or whole, and eat off that for a whole week and make lunch sandwiches too.

It's a great appliance, its main limitation that it cooks with moist heat, which does not brown meat or give a crispy texture like baking or roasting. And the flavors of the spices are somewhat diluted by the fact that the essences of foods are not concentrated as they are so deliciously in roasting. But for soups, stews, arroz con pollo, stewed chicken, pot roast, they're wonderful. A healthy, convenient way to prepare food, and a godsend since you can just walk in the door and sit down to eat.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm doing an assignment for cooking, and I need help?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment