Monday, November 4, 2013

Does anyone have ideas for an alternative to a Party Favor bag?

school bags for kids target
 on Healthy Snack Idea for Kids! Saving My Family Money
school bags for kids target image
Q. My 5 yr old daughters bday is coming up. Party favor bags are fun, and deemed necessary for proper party ettiquete. However they are expensive, and basically filled with usless crap. I am wondering if there is an alternative? Perhaps something small and with more worth then candy or cheap crappy toys, that is fairly inexpensive that I can give out as a parting gift?
Thanks


Answer
I totally agree. I call those goody bags full of cheap plastic junk "bags of crap". We can all do without another bag 'o crap. Most of it I throw away anyway within a day of my kids bringing them home. I have done books as well; trickier with 5's as most of them aren't reading yet, but I've bought boxed sets from the Scholastic book orders the schools send home and given those books out; they end up being about $2 each. I will give a book with a fancy lollipop (hard to describe but it's on a 10" stick with a heart or flower shaped candy piece at the end. That way there's still the candy element but not so much that it's overkill. With 5's you need to assume a parent will read the book; go with something with mass appeal like Strawberry Shortcake. Maybe if you go the book route you can consider those paint with water books.

I've also given out seasonally appropriate t-shirts; one of my daughter's birthday is in May and I have given out patriotic tshirts (in stores for Memorial Day, continue wearing all summer/4th of July.) These shirts are easy to find at Target for $5; a little less at Kohls if you use a coupon. Again I package with a lolipop. I have seen them on kids all summer. Other friends who feel the same way have given out hula hoops, those skip-it things (like a jumprope that attaches to your ankle and has a ball at the end), and a stuffed fairy. There are a lot of perfectly cute toys out there in the $5 range; too cheap to give as a gift but perfect as a "party favor" which is what you are giving instead of a bag of crap.

Five year olds might not "get it" right away as to why they aren't getting a plastic bag filled with yo-yos that don't work, teeny paper pads they don't use, etc. but it's fine to explain you are giving "one nice thing" instead of a bunch of "little stuff your mom just throws out".

How much do you usually spend on back to school shopping, just for moms of 2 or more kids?




Magali


I have 3 kids ages 8, 7, 6 and so far i have spend $65 on just school supplies, i still need clothes and shoes and backpacks and so forth so how much do you spend?


Answer
I have 2 kids (7 and 5) and I'm hoping that I can get by with spending $300 together for clothes, shoes, and school supplies. Right now most of the supplies are on sale for like $.15, $.25, and $1.00. Book bags usually cost us around $15-$20. I do still buy all their clothes from like Wal-Mart, Target, or other stores if I can get them on sale or decently cheap especially since by Christmas they'll probably need new clothes anyways. I'm also hoping I can find shoes on sale at Shoe Carnival or some other good shoe store.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Does anyone have ideas for an alternative to a Party Favor bag?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment