Monday, March 31, 2014

When did kids start wearing backpacks to school?




phoebe


In movies dated in the 1960-70s, you always see students carrying their books in a stack, even when they're walking from school to home. It has me wondering if backpacks were around back then.
So when were backpacks invented, and when did students start using them to carry their books?



Answer
Late 70's and early 80's is when we see the school backpack come into style.

Before that backpacks were big hulking things only used for camping and outdoor adventures. They date back to the 1800's and probably even before that. This was due to the rigid frames most people thought you needed to distribute the weight. Eventually, somebody came up with the knapsack (early 20th century or there abouts) and it only took a few decades to get the knapsack renamed a bookbag.

Should I use a backpack or tote bag in high school?




Live Laugh


I'm going to be a freshman on Monday, and I've already bought a backpack, but now I'm having second thoughts. I carried a tote bag from Hollister last year, and i loved the way it looked, but it got heavy and bothered my shoulders sometimes. I thought carrying a backpack might even out the weight, since i will be carrying more things this year, but I just liked how the tote bag looked. what do most people in your high school do? please help!


Answer
Most of the kids in my high school have backpacks, I use a backpack a lot because a tote bag hurts my shoulders too, the straps help even out the weight. I suggest going with backpack.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: When did kids start wearing backpacks to school?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not until the early1980's that backpacks were universally used in the public school system. Up until then when I was in school in the 1970's the boys used their school insignia gym bags to put their notebooks and text books in. We actually used grocery paper bags as text book covers. It was the girls who used fancy paper to cover their text books and colorful tote bags to carry their books. It was the girls who started the back back movement in the early1980's. They started using colorful backpacks to replace their traditional tote bags used prior.. Boys reluctant followed later which looked more like camping backpacks. There you go that's the modern day history of backpacks used in the public school system today.

    ReplyDelete