Friday, May 9, 2014

A repost from toddler and pre-school?




essentiall


I am reposting this here because it is so busy and may get help from mums with older kids or just general advise - thanks

My 5 year old daughter is having 2 friends from school home to play tomorrow (they are still 4 but same year in school will be 5 soon). We have to walk nearly a mile home with them and all their lunchboxes, book bags etc etc.

One of the children is a bit of a runner - you know runs off here and there before you know it. I thought the other one was quiet and well behaved as in the past has always stayed close and held hands - but was warned today by her mother that she is not very good around roads.

We have to cross an extremely busy road to get home already decided would cross in a different place where there is a small island half way so only have to check traffic in one direction. Thought I would have the girl I knew to be a runner in one hand and the other friend holding the other hand and my daughters hand.
I am now starting to panic of whether I can keep them all safe - any tips would be appreciated. The house is also a tip because I have been so tired and busy lately

I will probably be fine and just worrying because so tired but any advise or tips would be welcome - I do appreciate the ones in toddler and preschool just want to get as many as possible.

P.S. - unfortunately don't have a car so not an option :(
Oh yea with house being a tip should I just let them play with anything and blitz it when gone or tidy up and limit the things they play with?



Answer
Set the rules beforehand. Stop to talk to all the girls, and don't single out the 'problem' child. Stoop down when you are doing this so you're at eye level; kids respond much better when an adult doesn't seem so large and intimidating. They listen much better, too.

Explain that you have a long walk, and crossing streets can be very dangerous. Emphasize that you'll all be holding hands each time you cross the street (be sure to make sure you're holding the runaway's hand). Let them know that there will be consequences if anyone misbehaves, and that they'll lose their playing priveleges when they get to your house. Let them know they can have fun- playing Eye Spy and things of that nature, and be careful at the same time.

Kids are less likely to misbehave if they know the rules beforehand, and understand the consequences of their actions. Keep it simple and easy to understand- a lengthy, detailed speech will only bore them and they'll tune you out.

If you are very concerned, I'd suggest getting a long rope and tying four knots in it, at even intervals. Have each girl hold onto one of the knots while you are walking, and make a game out of it- anyone who lets go is a rotten egg, for example. That way, it will be fun for her to stay with the group.

Kids act much differently when they're away from their parents. You might be pleasantly suprised at her good behavior, but be prepared either way.

As for the playdate, I would let them play as they pleased, but allow for clean-up time i one room before moving to the next. If they are done with a boardgame, have them put it back in the box before moving onto Barbies, and so forth. Otherwise, they'll dump out every toy and game they can, and complain they're bored within 15 minutes.

Hope this helped a bit; have fun!

How to homeschool with toddlers in your house?




Babs


I know this can work but need help and suggestions. How can I best manage this with kids 8, 6, 2, and one on the way? I long to be organized more in the process. I want to enjoy this time together yet have a sense of structure and sanity!


Answer
I remember those days very well. It can be rough but you can make it work. My kids are 14, 11 & 9.

When my girls were younger we did lessons in form of unit studies. This way they were learning together. When my middle daughter was 2 she was eager to sit at the table with her sister who was doing kindergarten work. I let her join in which kept her busy. But my son when he was 2 he did not want to sit at the table what so ever. So if you can encourage your 2yr old to join you.

When my son wouldn't join us I had to find other things to keep him busy. Yes, I was a bad mom and let him watch tv. He was watching educational shows and learning too.

What worked best though was putting away some toys for homeschooling time. When his sisters were learning he could go into the "homeschooling closet" (we kept it locked at the time) & pick out some toys. We had blocks, learning dvd's, sewing cards, puzzles, latch boards & other fun educational toys. It was treat each morning for him to pick out a few things to keep him busy.

We'd usually work on unit studies in the morning. That way when he napped we could work on math & reading.

A child of 2 is old enough to join for reading out loud. We'd often encourage my son to join us for that. I'd let him draw what I read and it would show me he was really listening.

I hope this helps. I know things are tough right now. Remind yourself too that you kids can help you with cleaning, laundry & other house hold chores. That counts as school too because they are learning to help out, learning chores and working together. Encourage them to help clean while they are young. I use to get my little ones a wet wash cloth and let them scrub the floor. They LOVED it! Even now sometimes my youngest two at 11 & 9 think it is fun to scrub the floor. lol Make cleaning fun.

One thing I did when my kids were little was do a "10 min. round up" I'd give the kids small grocery bags & we'd go into a room. We'd gather up all the trash. Who ever had the most trash would win a small prize. We'd go room to room cleaning up for about 2-4mins at a time. Making it a total of 10mins. You'd be surprised how much cleaning you can get done in just 10mins time. The kids enjoyed the game. But make sure you keep an eye on the really young kids because a trash bag can be unsafe for them.

As one homeschool mom once told me was to keep in mind the kids are young. They learn daily just doing basic things. Do not work yourself into a break down trying to jam everything in.

I had a nervous break our first year of homeschooling. It wasn't just school there were other things going on but I had a 6yr old, 22mts old & a newborn baby. We were in a new house, away from friends & trying to jam in a full 1st grade curriculum. I just feel apart one day. I could not handle it & I felt like a failure.

Kids can learn from board games, helping mommy cook, like I said they learn with chores & just reading out loud is learning.

We all lose our sanity sometimes. I had a massive migraine yesterday I lost it a few times. By 8pm I shut myself in my room & finally went to sleep. Crying because I screamed at the kids, I forgot to check one child's work and I felt mean shutting everyone out. lol

Hopefully our kids will remember mommy was always there and not the days we do scream. ; )

HUGS




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: A repost from toddler and pre-school?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment