Monday, March 3, 2014

best type of baby carrier or wrap?




Star L


Do you like baby front carriers, backpacks, wraps, mobi wraps or mei tai wraps?

Whats the easiest and most comfy wrap? or do you just carry your baby without one?



Answer
The worst I have tried is the babybjorn. HATE it. I don't think it is designed well for baby or for mom's back. I used it ONCE when my baby was less then 8 lbs & my back hurt within 15 mins. Not good. It was adjusted well, I knew it was as I had a good friend with me letting me borrow it. She had used it a lot. Plus it's pretty basic, not too hard to figure out. We readjusted & readjusted, I just hated it. My favorite overall is the Ergo, hands down. But each type has pros & cons & some are better for certain ages & depending on what you want from your carrier. If you want handsfree nursing with small babies then a stretchy wrap like Moby is the right answer. If you want to be able to wear baby for a wide array of ages & weights & for longer periods of time, then an Ergo is a better suggestion. It is more about what YOU want from a carrier then which carrier is best. Ergos are bulky - so they are hard to just tote along "in case". Ones that tote well are rind slings, peanut shell styles or continuous loop slings, but you need to be careful of those styles with very small babies & make sure they are positioned well. Mei tais' are more of a carrier then a wrap & are awesome if you want something that you can wear for a bit, is a bit more take along "just in case" as it's less bulky then an Ergo & they come in a ton of really gorgeous fabrics.

Like I said I do love my ergo - but the drawbacks are this...they aren't as pretty as many of the other types, they are definitely bulky, so it's not easy to just bring it along in case you might want to use it. i do keep mine in the car a lot, but even tucking it in the basket under the stroller fills the whole basket for me just about. They also are a bit pricey compared to some of the others. The pros are that it really does put the weight onto your hips, not your back. My 5 yr old can still fit in it & he is average size for age AND he is almost half my weight. I can carry him fine. My legs will burn, but my back doesn't feel a thing. You are NOT supposed to put a child that heavy in there, but it was at Disney & the little one was sleeping in the stroller & the big one was VERY tired...so you make due right? Anyway, it is rated to 45 lbs. It is also easy for me to put on my tiny petite frame (as in 100lbs) & in no time I can take it off, hand it to Dh & he can adjust it to fit his nearly 6 ft frame in just a minute. He had no trouble using it from day one. By that I mean he wasn't bothered by it because it wasn't girly AND he had no trouble getting it adjusted without instruction or confusion & my 1st son was worn by daddy a LOT. We have had ours nearly 5 yrs. We have used it & I have loaned twice to relatives. It has been laundered a LOT & it still looks basically new, despite being under almost constant use. My 1st child was in it EVERY day literally. It is how I got things done. He liked to be held, I needed to move. The only thing an Ergo won't do is allow a child to be in front forward facing. There is some controversy about having a baby set that way in a structured carrier anyway though, as many warn it could put pressure on the spine & hips to have them set on their crotch. I the ergo they set on their butt & their legs kind of wrap around you versus hang.

he funny thing I ONLY had an ergo with my 1st child & he loved it & so did I. baby #2 comes along & I thought a Moby would be nice for newborn stage - he hated it. So I got a slingling (continuous loop) and a friend let me borrow her babybjorn, then I got a Mei Tai (Baby Hawk) & Maya Wrap (ring sling), (I think this is when I needed rehab - but anyway), then I got one of the hip hold type (can't remember the name brand) and I got fed up! My child didn't love any of them & neither did I. When I first put him in the Ergo & he didn't really like it the way my 1st had - it never occurred to me that he might not like CARRIERS. Well that was it. He tolerated the Ergo better than any of the other ones I bought & we went back to that - plus that one felt good to my back & was easy to put on alone & take off. So I liked them all for different reasons (other than the bjorn) - but my baby hated them for some mysterious reason I cannot quantify. I have sold most of them or given them away & the only one I won't is my ergo. Until my ovaries shrivel & fall out, I will hold onto it "in case" because when it works, it works so well. My 2nd finally decided to like carriers when he was around 10 months old & at 26 months is now a pro in the ergo. When he wants in he calls it giddyup. :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: best type of baby carrier or wrap?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment