Sunday, April 27, 2014

Have you ever "backpacked" through Europe?

Q. And if so, what cities did you visit, how'd you get around, and what hotels/hostels did you stay in? I would love to, but haven't the slightest clue as to the best way to see Europe .


Answer
I actually was living in the UK and travelled when I could, so technically I didn't do it in one big go...just lots of little goes.

What I can say is I KNOW how overwhelming it seems. I remember getting there and trying to figure out where I would go first...I literally felt like a kid in a candy shop! I decided on Paris!

What I would also say, after having the experience of travelling around is it is better to see FEWER places and more thoroughly than seeing lots of places really quickly. Reasons why is that you spend a LOT of your time travelling from A to B to C etc ( things like travelling, waiting for trains/buses/planes) not including delays, waiting times to catch connecting, getting to and from your accommodiaiotn. It really adds up.

It depends on how long you are staying as well. You can do things to get you started like doing one of those bus companies that have a circuit and you get on and off where you want and find your own accommodation. It maybe an option. Otherwise look for a specific route you can take that gives you an actual plan and something you can work with.

Websties for accommdaiotn are www.hostels.com, ww.hostelworld.com, www.hostelbookers.com and www.lonelyplanet.com. What you can do is lok thru them to see options and costs for places. Some places will be more pricey than others eg I found Florence ( Italy) quite exepnsive and stayed in a campground ( in a cabin) 15km out of Florence. It was cheaper, but took up to 50mins by bus to get into town and cost over 4 euro per journey. so you weigh up distance from centre and cost of accommodaiotn...places closer are usually more expensive but agaisnt time to get to and from it, cost of transport sometimes its better to go more central. The websites have ratings for accommodation as well!

To get started maybe make a list of places you REALLY want to see. Look on a map for a possible route...its generally pretty easy to get from one place to another by whatever transport ( note a good website for european flights is www.skyscanner.net) so that is usually not a problem.

There are also places that are amazing that you may not have considered. Eg I had never thought of going to Croatia, Slovenia and Czech Republic, but they rate up there as my favourite places ( AND are cheaper than other places)....Prague is REALLY worth a look.
As a single female who travelled by myself for the majority of my trips, I liked the freedom of travelling by myself, but you can easily pick up people to go around with and meet up agian with in hostels....
I went to France ...Paris and central France ( around Figiac/Cahors in the Dordogne region....lovely
Italy.....HEAPS to offer here and can recommend all the places I went to..Verona, Venice, Sienna, Rome, Florence and Bologna.
Czech Republic.Prague and Cesky Krumulov
Slovenia: Ljubljana, Lake Bled, Lake Bohinj
Croatia: Zargreb, Dubrovnik, Split, Zadar
Amsterdam...only comment.It was the ONLY place I stayed where I felt I have overdone it..I was there for 3 nights, 2 too many in my opinion.
Belgium: Brussels, Bruges/Brugge
Ireland: Dublin, Kilkenny, Tralee, Limerick
Wales and England...I actually didn't see as much in England as I should have considering I was living there for nearly 2 years, but travel is expensive here, even for people living and earning the pound!!!!

So I would chose some places, ask for opinions to help narrow the search and for "extra" places you may not have considered. My sister always said if 3 different people tell you about a place....seriously consider it as a place to go!!!
Have fun!

traveling with kids?




sarahnsqui


we're going to be camping in Colorado for a family vacation with my husbands siblings/dad/etc...there will be a 14 month old and my baby who is 3 months...what are some ideas for activities?


Answer
14 mo old - We bought a child carrier backpack for my first son and that sures makes nature oriented stuff easier. My son loved the pack, and so if we went on a hike he just road along in the pack, the sites alone will keep them entertained for the most part.

At 3 months you can get a front carrier, and tote that one along.

Wherever you camp, scout out the area very well before you let the 14 mo old wander around, make sure there are not any dangerous critters or bushes or whatnot. Have a big tent so they can also just use the tent as a playarea.

Buy a few new toys (don't go overboard) and give them a new toy when you first get there, when they bore of that one, give them another new toy.... depends on the attention span of your child how long this will or if it will work at all. (my 16 mo old this would never work, his attention span is like 3 minutes.)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Have you ever "backpacked" through Europe?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment