Sunday, December 8, 2013

What do you think about putting toddlers on "leashes"or harnesses?

best kids backpack harness
 on Baby Backpack - Shop Cheap Baby Backpack from China Baby Backpack ...
best kids backpack harness image



Dakotas ma


I was at the fair last night and saw a bunch of kids on leashes or harnesses. It was like a cute little kitty or bear backpack thing. It looked pretty cute plus it's a great way to keep your children safe. I used to be against those because they actually looked so inhumane but now they're cute and the straps are wider so it doesn't look like it would be uncomfortable. What are your opinions on this????
This comment is to samantha24.... Do you think that it's better for a child to watch his/her mom get punched in the face than it is to have them on a leash for a few minutes. Who are you to set down a law and punishment for something so pety?



Answer
I have one because my hubby and I go out to alot of places where there's alot of walking - like all day adventures to major outlet malls, county fairs, Disneyland, etc. My 15 month old gets fussy from being penned up in her stroller for hours. I love to let her out to walk - but I dont want to let her totally free to dart out in front of a car or other people or grab some poisionous plants in a planter, etc.

Basically I only use it to let her stretch her legs and I have to watch her so much more than when shes securely in her stroller. Also - Im a little paranoid about someone snatching her up and running off with her - and when she's on the leash - I know would-be bad guys will see than Im RIGHT THERE and not try anything bad.

I really hate the people who use the harnesses and then ignore what the child is doing. I see this all the time with people shopping in the malls - the mom is looking at one rack and then the kid is destroying the next rack over but the mom has no idea because she feels overly secure in her child's location - just because its on the harness.

My daughter and 18 month old Grand daughter are flying to Hong Kong in a few weeks?




amfound2


Any ideas how to keep a small child amused on a flight lasting almost 12 hours?


Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant who used to be based in Hong Kong. I flew for 13 years and now fly a lot with my own kids since each was 4 months old.

Both at work and when I flew, I found this age to be the most difficult. Toddlers love to roam, hate being confined and don't usually understand concepts like "You'll have to stay seated but soon you can get up".

Our flights are almost as long, 11 1/2 hours. What I find that works are
-anything coloring related, even simple paper and crayons
-a backpack that they pick their favorite toys
-a new toy which I keep and show them onboard.

Don't depend on the airline to give you something. The age might not be appropriate and many airlines have cut those toys out of the budget.

I will say that I don't think a portable DVD player is that great an idea for such a young child. Will she wear the headphones? Can she watch it without sound? Will it really hold her attention for long enough to justify dragging such a heavy object onboard? Will she not spill anything on it or drop it?

For such a long flight, the DVD player would have to have a battery life of at least 5 hours, better more since it's not possible to recharge them onboard. If your daughter thinks it's a good idea, she better try it with your granddaughter at home first.

Just some general tips, I really recommend bringing her car seat and using it onboard. This works great for toddlers and I have had to strap an unhappy little person down more than once. Holding such a big baby in a lap for such a long flight wouldn't be too comfortable and the only way to fly safely with her is if she is strapped into her own seat onboard. Children under 2 are allowed on most airlines because the chance of anything happening are so slim but if something does occur, these children aren't protected.

If you're flying a U.S. airline, here is the relevant page;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
The CARES harness pictured above might be a good alternative if the car seat is not needed in Hong Kong;
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

If you're flying a non-U.S. carrier, check your airlines' website to see if your car seat will be accepted.

If a seat is not booked for your grandchild, see if they can put an extra seat next to them, if the flight's not full.

Both of you keep an eye out for her at all times. Two of my toddlers loved to run into crowds at airports.

Bring a change of clothes and about 1/3 more of everthing than you think will be needed. Put them in plastic bags and rubber band them to save space in luggage.

Advise your daughter to learn to change your granddaughter standing up. Try this at home first! Toddlers are usually too big for airline changing tables and they hate lying down in strange places anyway. This trick will mean not having to hunt down the changer and she can use the handicapped lav during the flight.

About 8 years ago I wrote an article on this subject for a local expat newsletter. Over the years, I expanded it and put it on a blog to share with other parents, many of whom have contributed. I wanted a non-commercial place on the net where parents could get both practical *and* professional information.
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

I also recommend a backpack or other carrier. Hong Kong is very crowded and sometimes a stroller is not the best idea. If you ride the MTR, it'll be very useful as those stations are very deep with a lot of escaltors.

Make sure you all visit the restroom and your granddaughter's diaper is changed before the very long ride from Chep Lak Kok into central Hong Kong. It's way out there!

Hope you all will be there during Chinese New Year. It's really an experience!

Have a great time!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What do you think about putting toddlers on "leashes"or harnesses?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment