Thursday, January 30, 2014

Living with Chrones disease...how do you do it?

Q. My husband has Chrones disease. He was diagnosed roughly 5 years ago. He's never had any issues until 3 wks ago. He's now in the hospital for the 2nd time in so many weeks. His bowels are blocked and they are going to do surgery. They said that they'll do everything then can in order to prevent a colostomy bag, but it depends on how much of the bowel will have to be taken out. I've never seen a bag. What are they like? Can you still function normally? We're trying to get pregnant again...can you have sex with this bag attached? I'm so ignorant about this stuff, I need some help! Can someone please break this down "barney style" for me?


Answer
Hello Sam, I have had crohn's disease since the age of 12 and was given an ileostomy to save my life at the age of 17. Is your husband having his entire colon removed? if so, that's called a total colectomy and he'd be given an ileostomy. If they are taking only a part of his colon out, then it would be called a colectomy.

I can still do whatever I want with my ostomy. Noone knows you have one unless you tell them. You can have kids with the bag. Basically, it's a piece of plastic tupperware (on the wafer) that attaches to a shake n bake bag as I jokingly call it. They come in all different shapes and sizes. The smaller closed end pouches are used for those intimate moments. (Convatec can give you free samples).

Convatec is one of the companies that makes ostomy appliances. The newer ones are even low profile. Your husband can call them for a free month's supply at 1-800-422-8811 M-F (EST) 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (hrs. may have changed). When new products come out, you can request samples to try. I run an ostomy support group & have dealt w/Convatec for 21 yrs. They have awesome customer support. I've cld to speak w/an ET nurse when I had problems. You can even call yourself to ask for a brochure explaining what an ostomy is, how to deal with surgery, etc.

I learned about ostomies via the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America educational meetings. They had a panel discussion with surgeons & actual ppl who had ostomy surgeries. CCFA also has a support group where i even met crohnies like myself & we swapped info on the best places to purchase the appliances, which GI is the best, etc.

The Crohns & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) has a website where you can learn more about IBD, the medical terms that go with it, the latest treatments, surgery, diet, exercise, coping skills, and you can find a local support group to meet others who have IBD. Family & friends are encouraged to attend as well to educate themselves.

They have a toll free number manned by professionals M-F 9 am - 5 pm (EST) where you can call & ask questions.
They also have a live online chat where you can speak to a rep. from CCFA.

I am still the same person as I was before my surgery, except that my "plumbing" has been rearranged. Medication failed after 2 yrs. plus I couldn't eat due to severe pain in my stomach &severe fistulas and abcesses in my large colon so surgery was necessary for me so I could get my life back and return to school.

I provided a link to Convatec so you can see what the appliances look like as well as a link to an ostomy support group newsletter that I get. feel free to email me if you have any more questions. hope this helps.

PS: I've also included the site to the united ostomy association of america. you can call them to see if there is a chapter near you where you can request a visitor via the phone or hospital. it's www.uoaa.org.

What tennis racket should i get?




ColleenNin


Ive never really played before competively. Usually just on free days in gym. But im joining the tennis team which startes in like 3 weeks and I havent asked the coach if he'll be providing them or if we have to buy them or what ever. Its a high school team by the way.
Also i tend to hit alittle hard. Like when we did badmitton, volleyball, and pickleball i had to sort of linger near the back so i wouldnt hit it out of bounds. Not so much with badmitton cause i liked to spike it. HEHEHEHE
Does this mean that i should get a heavier one?
I also dont want any of those short handled ones for like little kids. Im in high school, that would be an imbarresment.
So if you could just like tell me what brand i should get and maybe what version in that brand and all that . Is a cover worth getting if i have a sports bag , not even really sure if the tennis racket will fit in my bag but what ever. Hey , if you had to choose would you rather get a tennis racket cover or a tennis sports bag thats shaped kinda like the a tennis racket.
I also dont have a 100 dollors to spend on a racket Thanks by



Answer
I use Donnay rackets, although they may be a little pricey (with my sponsorship I get them 45% off) they have a humongous variety that would be good for any player. Their new XENEcore technology prevents tennis elbow and gives more feel to the racket with the filled (not hollow) frame. I use the X-P Dual. I just checked the Donnay website and the rackets just got a price drop.

But for a more inexpensive adult sized racket, Adidas, Prince, Head, Dunlop, Yonex, and Wilson will have many options to fit your needs under $100. I suggest going to your local tennis store, Sports Authority, Model's, Dick's, Walmart , Midwestsports.com or Amazon.com and looking at their adult size rackets.

Also you may be able to find used rackets on Amazon, Ebay or Craigslist these rackets are top of the line with little or no damage at all, the only difference is someone used it a while. On these websties you may also find new adult sized rackets for less money.

In response to your second question, a tennis racket bag would be the better choice for you. The racket bag protects the racket better from heat or cold and will store all of your tennis needs.

On midwestsports.com they have a HUGE rackets on sale section I think you should check it out.
http://www.midwestsports.com/tennis-racquet-specials/c/32/
THey also have a big bag sale too.
http://www.midwestsports.com/sale-tennis-bags/c/500109/


And finally some things to look for when buying a racket.
Grip Size - not all handles feel the same you will probably need a 4 1/4 - 4 3/8 grip (just guessing)
Lenth - Adult racket length should be 27 inches.
Strings - Some rackets you buy online or in store will not come strung make sure to purchase a string.
For your level I recommend Babolat addiction which is a very cheap and good string. Make sure there is a shop in your area the does stringing.
Check midwestsports.com for cheap strings they have them.

I wish you good luck with your tennis and your racket hunting!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Living with Chrones disease...how do you do it?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment