Sunday, April 6, 2014

How can I make a flight more comfortable for two small children?




Rivkah


Hi, my children and I will be flying LA/NYC soon, and I would just like some tips as to what I can bring or how I can make the flight more comfortable for my two children... (they are 4 years & 2 weeks.)
nonldsinutah, no, I will not drug my children.



Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant and I now fly a lot with my own three children. I can assure you first of all, both ages are good for flying. Four year olds understand better what is going on better than 2 or 3 year olds do and are easier to keep occupied in their seats. The baby is so small that s/he'll probably sleep the whole time.

Since I'm a Flight Attendant, I have to tell you that the ONLY way to fly safely with a baby is to have him or her in their own car seat on board. Babies under age 2 are allowed on laps but if anything goes wrong, they're not protected. Air travel is safe so there is very little chance of that happening. As a mom who has made many transaltantics with my own children, I have to admit that it was very nice to have somewhere to place the baby down. It was much more comfortable for me, my baby and everyone around us.

If you didn't book a seat, don't despair! Ask at check-in if it's possible to place an empty seat beside you. Often they do this for families. Check that your seat if FAA approved. Most sold in the U.S. are;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

If the seat is part of a travel system, you can gate check the stroller part at the door of the aircraft.

Many times on the internet and elsewhere you'll read that you're supposed to make the children suck something on take-off and landing. This is actually a bit of a myth and there's no reason to remove your baby from his or her car seat during the most important parts of the flight for keeping them safe. If they fall asleep, there is no reason to wake them. If you want to make them suck on something during ascent, not just take-off (when the plane leaves the ground) than by all means do so but I have never done anything special and they're fine.

What I do do is take them to the pediatricians' a few days before flying and have him make sure their ears are healthy and infection-free. Healthy ears can handle pressurization changes.

Try to book bulkhead seats (the ones with the wall in front). They are located in different places depending on the aircraft. These are convenient for children and some airlines even supply bassinets which attach to the wall. I will admit that this is rare but nice when you can get it.

Bring a change of clothes and at least 1/3 more supplies than you think you need. Have the 4 year old bring a backpack of his or her own toys. Bring one new toy to surprise him or her onboard.

If your baby is bottlefed, use the kind of bottles with plastic liners. Airplanes have really bad sinks for bottle washing and you can premeasure the powder beforehand to make the task even easier. Also be sure to get him or her used to a room-temperature bottle. Yes, they warm them onboard but be ready to feed your child anywhere, including check-in, security, etc. Since warmed bottles have no health-advantage to the child, make your life easier.

I have never used any sort of drugs to get my children to sleep and we fly between Europe and California about twice a year. It can be dodgy and twice while working, I saw children get the opposite reaction. They were totally wired! I wont risk it either.

My absolute secret to flying easily with a baby is to have a good baby carrier. I've tried all sorts but my sling worked best. The kind that dangle the child from the crotch, like Bjorns, aren't as comfortable. With a sling, wrap or pouch, you can slide the child in and out of any bassinet or car seat and it's nice to get on and off the aircraft hands-free, especially with other children in tow. I've had moms ask me where I got mine when they saw how much easier it made our flight.

About seven years ago I wrote an article on this subject for a local expat newsletter. I've since had lots of feedback from other parents and expanded it. I put it on a blog to share with other parents after seeing really dire advice on the web. I flew as a Flight Attendant for over 10 years before having my first baby and now I've been flying for 8 years with my own. Feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Have a good, eventful-free flight!

Hiking... Expedition backpacks: 7,000 cu in?




Eug


how big are they compared to an average male's back? I'm 5'10 and 155 lbs, I'm wondering how it would look against my back.. can you provide pictures? Thanks


Answer
7,000 cu in is not big - it's huge
you might find some info at REI
might want to look under "Expert Advise" tab
http://www.rei.com/category/4500001_Backpacks%2C+Child+Carriers+and+Duffels




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can I make a flight more comfortable for two small children?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment