Thursday, February 6, 2014

highschool kids, can you give me advice on what brandnames of school bag ect, to buy my child starting yr 7?

Q. she will be starting highschool this year [shes 12] , its a public school so i can buy any brand bag, school shoes, runners, ect,
what brands are cool for highschool, do they use lunchboxes still?, or paper bags?
any tips will be great, ive no idea, thanks!


Answer
I wouldn't be too concerned about what is 'cool" and so forth, just take her along with you and let her choose what she thinks is 'cool". The definition of what is trendy varies from kid to kid, going by their individual tastes. She has ideas on what she likes I'm sure, so it's a good chance to let her make the decisions.
I still had lunch boxes in high school, replaced the kiddy ones though, lol, with more "mature" styles. At least lunch boxes are insulated, much safer in the heat.
Lots of luck to Casey for this year! I hope she settles in well.

How are schools like in the United States?







I want to know how are the schools like in the US. And im talking about public High Schools: For example..

What do you need to have or do they give it to you? Books, pay for lockers, book bags, uniforms?
When you start a new year what do you have to do? Like go to the office to get stuff?
Schedule? They give it to you, who?
What are the classes? Basics, you choose some?
Do you have time between classes to do stuff?
Lunch time? Do you get to go outside of the school? Bring food or is it given?
When does it usually start? When does it ends?
Holidays? Breaks? Any at all and how much time?
Cliques? Bullies? Social problems, Pregnancy?

***Anything and Everything that you can tell me*** that is public high school, since i believe that public schools are better over there, right?



Answer
The school owns the books. They check them out to you. You are supposed to buy your own supplies. Truthfully, if you don't buy it the teachers will just give you the stuff. You buy your own book bag and we didn't have uniforms. There's a dress code. There was a gym uniform for some Physical Education classes. I think the uniform was under 30.00US, but I'm not certain since I took JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps) for my PE requirement and my Army uniform was free. There wasn't a fee for the locker.

The office opens a few weeks before the start of the school year to start processing the students. Your parents are supposed to enroll, but the lines are total BS a few days before school so kids kinda enrolled themselves at my school. My school was filled with underprivileged students so most parents needed to work (and a few didn't care actually). You need to bring immunization records, birth certificate and old school records if you're transferring. Plus there's stuff to sign. You can bring your parents signature in later.

You're supposed to get the schedule before school starts, but at my school people sort of trickled in the first week of school. You just go to the office and they give you the schedule.

The basic classes are math, science, English, and social studies/history. We had those classes all 4 years. Some kids did remedial levels of one or more of them, others did AP (Advanced Placement or college level). We also had classes where we didn't have to take them for all 4 years. Those were art, music and foreign languages. Also, because my school had a HUGE immigrant population, we offered a lot of ESL (English as a Second Language) classes. I think every school in the city had the capability to do some ESL support, but my school actually taught math and science in Spanish.

Physical Education was a one semester requirement that you could fill with regular gym (sport gym), aerobics, dance, swimming or JROTC. I had elective courses too, like Stage Craft and Newspaper.

Between classes there is ~10 minutes max. You can go to a locker and rush to the bathroom. Lots of kids meandered so being a little late didn't usually earn you a detention.

Our school had a junky old lunch room. It couldn't fit all of us, so you'd have to wait in line until the room cleared a bit. Most of the kids in my school were on either free or reduced lunch. The government pays the school back so you eat either free or cheaper. The form to apply is part of the start of year paperwork. You could get either a hot lunch or a salad bar lunch. We also had snacks like churros and soft drinks in a different line, but they only took actual money. Of course, you could bring a lunch or go visit a fast food place for lunch.

The school day ran 7:40 to 3:10. There was extra-curricular stuff, too so you can still find the school unlocked and kids and teachers inside until 5 or 6 sometimes.

We had holidays off and sometimes there are teacher planning days nowhere near holidays and we'd have those off too. But quite a bit of that if school district specific. The best thing I'd recommend to calculate those is to pick a US city and google it with "Public Schools" like "Dallas Public Schools".

Like I've alluded to, my school was fed by a poor neighbor and had a higher than average number of children of immigrants. The school's issues is that the building was old and too small. At the beginning of every school year, class size could climb to 40 kids, but we might only have 30 desk/chair combos and another 5 stacking chairs. Then we'd get a massive drop out wave and 2 weeks later the class can all sit down. Of course there were cliques. I don't think there was a lot of bullying at that school, though. Then again, I didn't speak Spanish so it's possible that all of our bullies were Spanish-speaking so I didn't get targeted. We had lots of kids in gangs or going to join gangs later. But the big brother and sisters in the gangs managed to keep the violence out of the school, like a truce. No guarantee for your walk home though. Some kids did drugs, but not many. Several girls had kids at home (even 9th graders), but we didn't have an in-school daycare like some places. Truthfully, no place to put it. It wasn't unusual to see pregnant girls.

LOL, actually as a native born American too poor and secular for anything but public school I find that idea of public schools as "better" quite amusing. The quality scale I believed and still do is: public < religious < private. You get what you pay for. Yeah, we're taxpayers and so paid for our education, but not directly so it's crap. I am cognizant of the fact that without my crappy schools, I would have no education whatsoever.

I hope this helps and good luck with whatever you needed it for.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: highschool kids, can you give me advice on what brandnames of school bag ect, to buy my child starting yr 7?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment