Sunday, December 15, 2013

How do you prepare to go to school out of state?

school bags university
 on ... BAG MEN'S WOMAN'S COLLEGE SCHOOL UNIVERSITY SHOULDER HAND BAG | eBay
school bags university image



la_la_blue


I am thinking of going back to school and some of the schools I am considering are far from where I live. I would have to pick up and move and look for a new job and place to live if i don't live on campus. How do I go about it?


Answer
This is a really, really difficult aspect of choosing a college or university, and it's one that I erroneously overlooked. I'm originally from Alabama but deicded to attend Boston University in Massachusetts. First thing: make sure you have the finances to afford airplane/train/or bus fare to and from your home--not just in the summer--but during Fall break, Christmas break and Spring break. MANY colleges kick students out of the dorms (the ones who live on campus) for these recessions, and if you don't have the money to go home, you're in trouble. If you live in an on campus apartment (which doesn't happen for most freshmen) or if you're off campus, then obviously you don't have to worry about this. Secondly: shipping and storing your things for the summer can be VERY expensive, and these shipping and moving companies are beginning to charge even more to compensate for rising gas prices. Do you think you'll be able to afford to ship and store your things for four years? The average price to ship and store my items (in Boston) was about $650. Keep in mind that if you try to overpack your items in a suitcase to avoid being charged for them at the storage and shipping places, airports charge $80 for overweight items and they're beginning to charge for even checking bags.

Be sure to look at the cost of living in the respective city you choose. Boston's a very expensive city and I couldn't move off campus as I'd lose some financial aid money...watch out for that. You might have to have 2 or 3 roommates just to afford rent (depending on the closeness to campus etc).

Make sure you understand the overall cost of living in the city surrounding your university. Going shopping in Boston is a completely different experience for me because things (everything) is twice as expensive as it is back home--including food. Since I really couldn't affod a lot of groceries, I had my family ship me canned goods from home (which was also expensive).

I'm so happy my college career is almost over. The hassle that comes along with traveling, the expenses in shipping/storing things for the summer (if you live in dorms) and just generally being thousands of miles away from everyone I knew and loved was VERY difficult. Of course you'll make friends, and learn the city, but these are just a few things to consider when going out of state. Good luck, and remember that being in a new environment, coming into contact with fresh ideas and new perspectives can really make the entire experience worth it in the end.

Is there a program that collects food cans for Somalia if we collect from our schools?




crazymzgre


I want to do a canned-food drive in my university, but I can't find an organization or program that will take the cans. They all want money. Is there such an organization looking for cans or do they all want money?


Answer
Don't bother with your misplaced idealism. Even if you managed to send cans of food to Somalia, the terrorists would get it all and none of it would go to the people who need it. The same applies to money. So forget such foolish notions. If you want to help people, there are plenty of people right here in this country who need help. If you looked, there are probably enough people within one mile of where you are now who could take everything you could manage to get together.

Don't go looking half-way around the world to some dirt-bag country that doesn't even have a functioning government and is run by opposing terrorist mobs. Help the people in your own neighborhood, or on your own street first.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do you prepare to go to school out of state?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment