Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Is Grad School Culture Really Like This?

Q. So I go to a really good school in the USA, and I was considering graduate school for math or physics as I am a double major. I have started trying to try to get a glimpse of what life is like as a graduate student. I must say that after talking with one of my TAs and running into him a few times around campus, I am a little bit disgusted. I thought grad school was the time when all the simpletons were gone from campus, and those of us left on the other side got to thrive in the culture of learning, and be progressive, truly intellectual people.

However I have a TA for a very high level math class that is getting his PhD with a thesis focus in algebraic geometry and has quite a few publications. However, this guy is for a lack of a better word a tool bag dimwitted slob. I always see him jogging with this big dopey grin on his face. He still wears his old fraternity letters hoodie to class (ARE YOU KIDDING ME). When I go to his office hours, his cubicle is at the back of the room facing the wall, so I can see what he is doing on the internet. He is always on some forum for Jersey Shore or Mob Wives, or is literally watching WWE wrestling youtube videos(again seriously!!!!). The other day I saw him eating at the campus McDonalds with his girlfriend who went outside and smoked a cigarette mid-meal.

Whenever I ask about math in office hours, he always says something to the effect of... "Oh **** dude, the prof didn't want me to go over that one, but... it's just so badass man I have to haha..." He then proceeds to give a very descriptive detail of the solution to the exercise, pausing and saying, "you understand man?" I feel so insulted that this idiot with a trucker's vocabulary is asking ME if I understand!!! It's insulting, and he should know not to do that with the image he puts off.

Please tell me that graduate school life is not the path to trailer trash lifestyle, middle class neighborhoods, fast food, girlfriends who can't get the whole way through their big mac without a smoke break, and reality TV. I know that there are a lot of intellectuals out there in grad school, but I just need some reassurance.

Thanks


Answer
"However, this guy is for a lack of a better word a tool bag dimwitted slob" So you're judgemental

"He still wears his old fraternity letters hoodie to class (ARE YOU KIDDING ME). " critical of other people's clothing choices.

"When I go to his office hours, his cubicle is at the back of the room facing the wall, so I can see what he is doing on the internet"
what's your point?

"He is always on some forum for Jersey Shore or Mob Wives, or is literally watching WWE wrestling youtube videos(again seriously!!!!)."
I can guarantee you watch something or have a hobby that that I think is stupid

"The other day I saw him eating at the campus McDonalds with his girlfriend who went outside and smoked a cigarette mid-meal"
your point?

"I know that there are a lot of intellectuals out there in grad school, but I just need some reassurance."
Basically you think you are an elite intellect when in reality right now you are an undergrad which means you know next to nothing. I'm sure there are "progressive intellectual" people in grad schools--but that doesn't mean the are more intelligent or will accomplish more in their fields than someone whose hobby is watching WWE.

I watched the last UFC PPV--the people in the room were 2 dentists, a chiropractor, a neurologist, a college professor of physics, and 3 engineers. A lot of intelligence and schooling in that room, but according to you, an undergrad student, you seem to be more intellectual than any of us.

Get ready for a wakeup call when you find out that "dimwitted slobs" are MUCH more intelligent than you are. You are the most prejudiced and judgemental person I've ever heard of--and that's what I'd expect from someone who wants to be a progressive intellect.

High School Tennis Team?




Molli Rae


I'm a Freshman in high school and going out for our school's tennis team. I have taken lessons, but it was almost 3 years ago. During the summer, my sister and I would just mess around with our rackets, and I am REALLY bad.
Due to an inconvenience, we lost our head tennis coach, so the whole thing has been really unorganized lately. Last week they had pre-season practices, but I wasn't able to go because it was at an indoor court located twenty minutes away, and being only 15, I couldn't drive myself or get a ride. Today was the first REAL practice, and of course, I couldn't practice because I don't have my sports physical done. Luckily, I have one tomorrow morning, which means I can practice tomorrow!
The coaches did say there's a chance of cutting people and I don't know when exactly tryouts are or if we're having them.
With that said, I am scared out of my mind. I'm not a good player, had to miss first week of preseason practice, and the first day of real practice. I really want to make the team and play, but I don't know if I even have a chance...

Do you guys have any tips??

(PS: I was signed up for private lessons this last summer, and with my luck, the instructor lost my form and I never got to get help.)
I actually did try to contact the instructor back multiple times. My dad had called the Rec multiple times before we finally got a hold of him, and at that point, he said he was done giving lessons.



Answer
Don't give up the ship too soon. Say, "I have not yet begun to fight" [John Paul Jones].

The skill level at most high schools is NOT the toughest in the country, so stick it out unless you absolutely KNOW you're getting cut and every player you go up against beats you love and love. If that is indeed the case [I doubt it] you might bag out after 2 or 3 days of it.

Hmmmm, tips. OK, lets assume that you have to play some sort of match with other kids in order to either make a cut of construct a team ladder.

Sportsmanship might not be #1, but it's way ahead of whatever is in 2nd place :-)

Therefore, get yourself a rule book from USTA. My favorite is "Friend at Court" because it has an index in the back where you can look things up. It also has *everything* in it, unlike "Rules of Tennis" which only has the rules and The Code.

The "Rules of Tennis" book is a few bucks cheaper, so that's a plus in its favor. The Code is very important for you to know, because it tells you how to conduct yourself in a match that has no officials [99.9% of matches I've seen in person, lol]. So read The Code over and over if you haven't already. available at:
http://www.ustashop.com/ <-- click on "Books" in the lefthand margin
It should get to you in a week or less :-) USTA is very good about shipping these books.

OK, your instructor has stopped teaching or something. Sounds like it's time to "re-load." There are tons of tennis instructors in the world, so if you are looking for a teacher, here are links to three tennis-teaching organizations:
http://www.uspta.com/
http://www.ptrtennis.org/
http://www.tennisteacher.org/MTMCA/Welcome.html

If you live in the USA, you should be able to find an instructor near you in one or more of the web sites above.

Matches with other kids:
You should NOT attack every ball that comes to you. Some balls require you to defend [lobs, slices, get out the kitchen sink and shovel it over somehow. Other balls you just keep it in play without fully attacking the ball, duking it out until a short ball comes along. And finally, if you get an easy "sitter" then go for it with a full swing and win it or lose it! You can also counterattack if the ball isn't too far away from you.

Get your first serve in, even if you have to use an underhand or sidearm serve [perfectly legal, by the way]. Double-faults are not acceptable :-) so avoid them if you possibly can.

Announce the score, and KNOW the score at all times. The score tells you whether you can go for broke or be conservative and just keep it in play. Some points are far more important than others.

Keep your mouth SHUT unless you have to talk. This will keep you out of trouble :-) Not always easy to do, unfortunately.

Be creative: Drop shots, lobs, dinks, moon balls etc are great fun to hit, and people often have trouble with them!

Learn to play the net, practice your punch-volleys and overheads every day. Approach shots are also very important, of course.

Take deep breaths in between points, look down at your shoes or your racket strings. Note how the pro's have a little ritual in between points where they move back and regroup each time. Very smart.

Do NOT think about the result. That will mess you up, because you really don't have direct control over it.

Think about giving it your best effort, sportsmanship, and other concepts, like strategy and tactics within that strategy.

If you get cut, then take lessons from a good teacher and practice at his/her club several days a week. The club's program may be a better one than the school's anyway :-)

best of luck :-)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is Grad School Culture Really Like This?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment