Saturday, May 24, 2014

I need help for the first day of school!?




thebigfish


i just moved in to US this june and i'm going to school at september , im from Philippines which is alot different from here . Also, im going to school as a sophomore, so please, can i have any tips on what should i wear? or what bag should i get? what clubs to join? or what should i do to prevent myself from having a bad time for highschool . thank you :D
also , im 15 and im a guy .



Answer
Be yourself! Don't try to be a clone of all the other kids. After the first day, you'll see what the others are wearing and then you can dress in a similar style, but still maintain your individuality.

Relax and be friendly - the second day will be better!

Schools in Korea questions?




Seung Gi


These are my questions:


1. I am not Korean and I am planning to study in Korea, is it hard to adjust?
2. Is that true that private schools in Korea are strict and most of the students stay at school until 11 PM?
3. I am 14 years old and turning 15 on October, what grade will I be in?
4. How many subjects do schools in Korea have and what are they?
5. Do schools in Korea have education about religions? I am Born-Again Christian.
6. When do school year start and end? June until March or August/September until May/June?
7. If Korea is known to be good in Science, Math and Reading, why most of the Koreans prefer to study in the Philippines? I've seen A LOT back then in the PH. Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!

And lastly.... Do you think I should pursue the plan of studying in Korea instead of studying in USA?

Please answer my questions.
PS: I don't know how to speak Korean! I don't understand Hangul, too. I am Filipino-Chinese. I am fluent in Filipino and English.



Answer
I don't want to sound discouraging or anything, but all I'll say will be the truth.

1. It will be possibly the hardest thing you will ever do. People complain about some material that is hard at school already, now try learning it in a language that is in no way similar to yours. A dictionary will have to follow you everywhere you go and scientific terms, higher level vocab will usually not show up. Concepts and formulas will also have to be understood in a language you do not speak. Try learning calculus (diffrential and integral), biology, organic chemistry, etc in a language you confess you do not know (watching some TV will not be enough...)

2. Korean students will go to ordinary school (typically around 7) to around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. They will go to various private academies (hagwons) afterwards, so you will be out of the house until around midnight. Kids often leave their house in the morning with breakfast in their mouth and lunch+dinner in their bags. Since you are paying to go to the private academies, you will be pressured from home to do well. Private schools are not very big in Korea, however private academies are and they are everywhere.

3. You'd be in the 8th or 9th grade (remember you'd be adding another year to your life b/c the Korean age system is different). However, I'd highly advise you to drop down a grade or so b/c unless you are Einstein's successor, you will not pass. Korean students do this when they go to the States b/c they cannot manage a workload in a language they don't know even though it is easier material.

4. It would depend on the school. Math, English, Chinese, Science, Korean, and History would all be subjects in school.

5. Schools will typically not have classes about theology or religion. That will have to be done by you on your own time, but there may be exceptions.

6. The Korean education calendar is a bit different from what you might be used to. School would start in the summer until December where students will have a 2 month break (December and January). When they come back, they will go to school until July or June where they would have another month off. So there is a 2 month winter break and a 1 month summer break in the school year from the summer until the summer. Exact months and days will vary.

7. Korea is known to be one the top countries in education by numerous international studies. Koreans do not move to Korea for math or science. They would typically study in the Philippines for the English education that is available there at a much lower cost. The warmer climate is also attractive and the Filipino government encourages immigrants from Korea for economic reasons.

8. If you know English fluently, then I highly advise you to study in the US. It will be much easier for you to do so. To be honest, you always hear from Korean immigrants talking about how much easier school in the States is compared to Korea. I have cousins that are three years younger than me and are in Korea who do subject material that is only a year behind me (I live in the States). The only time they're at home during school weeks are for sleep except for maybe 2 or 3 hours. And this will be months on end. You will essentially be going to school on the weekends as well through the private academies (they will basically last just as long). Also, this will sound absurd, you will attend these private academies over the breaks as well. Of course, since these are private academies, it's completely up to you on whether to attend them or not, however I can nearly guarantee you that you'll fall behind if you don't.

Good luck to you and I'm sorry if I sounded excessively pessimisstic, but this is based on my own experience and from what I hear all the time. If you study in the US for highschool, you may be able to attend a semester or two of college in Korea; however, with what you've told me so far, it will be very difficult for you to succeed in school in Korea (unless you are a frickin genius of course :P)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I need help for the first day of school!?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment