Thursday, May 22, 2014

Will I be in cold if I wear like this in the UK?




FallingApa


I will be going to Manchester, Glasgow and Iceland (not uk)

The style im planning to wear alot is

Dress (not knitted, just thin cotton fabric)
Tights
Cardigan
Lightweight jacket (I still havent found this should I buy it here or just buy it over in the uk) (im thinking of something like a thin fabric pea coat?)
Ballet flats / boots

Sweater
Shorts (workwear fabric)
Tights
Lightweight jacket
Ballet flats



Answer
That should be fine, but then again, it depends on what you're used to. Have a google around for what the temperature usually is in Manchester or Glasgow at the time of year you plan to come, think how that compares with home and see what you think. I wouldn't advise shorts unless it turns out to be an unusually warm day. I'm male, live in London and very rarely get to wear mine, though I always did as a kid because it was part of the school uniform up to the age of 11 (older people feel the cold more!)

The other thing is that UK weather can be incredibly variable, which is one reason the English famously talk about the weather. I've long since given up taking notice of weather forecasts. Expect rain at any time, though it doesn't rain ALL the time - that really is a myth. A cheap plastic raincoat with a hood that you can fold up small and carry in your bag just in case is no bad idea. A cardigan or sweater with something underneath is good because if it suddenly gets warmer and you feel hot and sweaty (that's another thing: because the UK is an island nation, there's always damp in the air and what can feel nicely hot in another country can be an uncomfortable mugginess here) you can take it off.

Perhaps it's a bit much for a guy to advise a girl on what to wear, but I DO live here and know what it can be like, and I hope it helps.

I need a bike for the city. What should I get?




seanstshib


I need something that's not flashy (it will be used in Glasgow where thieves like anything). My journey is uphill, but quite short. I would use it 2/3 times a day, 6 days out of 7 probably. So yeah durability.
I also dunno whether I should invest in disc brakes or not - Glasgow is quite a wet place so I dunno if that would help for an answer.
Err I was considering a fold-able bike for the thievery reason as well, but also so that I could keep it out of the night.
I have up to £600 to spend I suppose.
The fold-able thing is also good cos I take the train back to Edinburgh, my real home, quite often.
Another point is that I carry quite a bit of stuff when I cycle (ie a heavy guitar in a flight case on my back, books etc for uni in a man-bag around my front).
I would like it to last me.

Cheers.



Answer
Get the best bang for your buck. I strong frame and you can always upgrade later is the mentality to go with. If thieves are around make sure to convert all the quick release parts with actual bolts the retailers will sell or give to you in trade. This goes for seat posts, and both wheels. Disc brakes are not a must but stay true longer than old school. Get a front and rear removable light set, so not one takes it off the bike when you're not around too. If you want to keep quick release on the bike wheels make sure to get used to locking the bike by the back tire, through the frame and removing the front tire and locking it with the back one and frame. Put a pannier on the back to place a crate on any milk crate and bungies will do the trick, this will take the weight off of your back and legs (which will save you energy) while transporting your books and stuff.
As far as what type of bike, a city crossover/hybrid (mt.bike mixed with road) with a few gears I would go with, make sure it has tires that are not too slick so you can have traction in case you have to go off the usual path. I prefer a mild front fork suspension too, just to be safe, from potholes, drop-offs, curbs and other road hazards. BUY A LOCK WITH A BRAND NAME YOU CAN TRUST TOO! KRYPTONITE IS THE BEST I THINK. Good luck and remember one more bike on the road means one less car:)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Will I be in cold if I wear like this in the UK?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment