Sunday, March 9, 2014

I'm going to public school?




I <3 Dance


So I've been homeschooled my whole life but in the fall I'm enrolled to go to public school! I'm so excited, but freaking scared. There are 2,300 kids at my local high school! I'm pretty social and I have a ton of friends from dance, but I'm a little shy when first meeting people. I'm scared I won't make any friends since I'm coming in the 10th grade and everyone will already know each other. I'm scared I won't have anyone to sit with at lunch and I'll get lost (because the school is huuge).
I just have a few questions:
1. How much homework do you get a night?
2. What kind of backpack do you think I should get?
3. Do you have any free time after school or are you super busy with studying and homework all night?
4. I'm taking geometry, biology, US history, Spanish, English 10 and Art II. None of them are honors or AP since my counselor recommended normal classes for my first year do you think these are really basic?
5. Is school REALLY as bad as everyone makes it seem?
6. What else should I know about starting my first year of school?

Please, please, please answer all my questions I will love you!! I know it's early to be thinking about this as the school year isn't even over yet, but I'm so nervous and want to be prepared!! :)



Answer
This is based on my experience of high school from like...2 years ago? :P I'm 20.

1. When I was in "regular" classes (I was technically an honors student, but opted out of the honors program.), I usually got at least one assignment from each class. However, there will be days with homework and studying overload because your teachers decided to have projects all due in the same week or even day.

2. Uhhh. A normal backpack? A lot of girls in high school did use giant purses. Messenger bag. etc. Just don't be that girl who has a giant back AND a giant purse. It looks dumb. Just get something cute and durable that will hold your stuff. :)
Unless your school has a rule against it, half the students at my high school did just bring their backpacks around instead of leaving it in their lockers. A lot of girls would just carry their books in their hands instead of in a bag.

3. I had a lot of free time, but as I mentioned earlier; Lazy honors student in regular classes. When I was in all honors, I had 3-4 hours free time? But I wasn't acing those courses either, so...>_>

4. Sounds good. They are fairly basic courses, but since you're not familiar with public school, it's a good idea. Also, when taking AP courses and if you're taking it for hopes of transferring it as a college credit...discuss with your advisor/counselor if that will even work. A lot of my friends, even those who transferred to prestigious universities (like Brown University) couldn't transfer all their AP credits over. Just something to let you know.

5. This will depend on your area. I've moved into the city for college and damn. Some of my friends have horror stories on their hands of bullying, but I was from the suburbs and they were all pretty accepting and I was never bullied. Just be nice and courteous to others. There will always be people who may not like you, but so what? High school is just 4 years of your life and make the best of it! Join clubs & stuff to make friends. And for the love of...whatever you believe in, don't buy into popularity stuffs. Popularity fades and it doesn't matter after high school.
& don't be afraid to speak up. Do be aware that most schools have a zero tolerance policy though. You can't fight back if you're getting hit.

6. Ummm. Don't be afraid to ask people (especially teachers) for help! On the first day of classes, people are usually lost, so there's usually a teacher standing outside their room to give directions.
High school lunches are generally gross and expensive. Bring your own lunch. :P

I don't mean to scare you if I did! D:

And coming from someone who is in college & comparing the experience to high school...I'm in community college and my classes are a breeze, despite taking only regular credit courses, instead of honors or AP. Just something I thought I'd mention I think you'd probably end up asking Y!A anyway. ;P

Why do little kids think that they're the shit?




sly_2314


And by little I mean middle school and down...

Most of the time when i'm walking home from my highschool there's always some kids who think they are smart and try to insult me...When i'm just some random person. I really don't get it... For example

"Oh my god look at that girl with the blue hair, she looks like crap i'm fanna buy her some hair dye" (obnoxious laugh).

-_-

OMG

Why do u guys think i have blue hair? aha

it was an EXAMPLE.

kaythanks



Answer
because little kids are seriously douche bags ha :]




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm going to public school?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment