Saturday, November 2, 2013

What did you carry everyday in high school?

school bags photos
 on School Bag Photo | SpiderPic Royalty Free Stock Photos
school bags photos image



CFaith


What did you carry everyday in high school?
I'm doing a project for my English class based on the book "The Things They Carried" which has to be around the things high schoolers carry. My teacher said anything goes and my group and I are going to survey people and ask them what they consider themselves to be in high school (nerd,stoner,jock,preppy, etc) and what physical/emotional things they carried to fulfill the "duties" of their clique. The physical things include anything that you typically bring to school in your bag/backpack. We're going to use the data and make a slideshow. I have a small school and I'm going to ask students in my school and get photos of their backpacks. But, I want the results to be as collective as possible so that's why I'm here.

What do you think you were in high school? What things did you physically carry daily? Were there any emotional things or feeling that were carried associated with being in the clique you were? (for example, nerds feeling out-casted or "too" smart) Thanks so much.

So what did you carry and what did you consider yourself to be?



Answer
Books, notebooks, pens, pencils, some art supplies, keys.

I was on the nerd side as well as an artist. I also hung around athletes some and played some sports.

Is it required to know how to use a sewing machine before entering Fashion Design school?




evian


I've sewn so many stuff manually (just needle and thread) already like shirts and jeans and vests but i dont know how to use a sewing machine! I'm also a little scared of the possibly snobbish hipster classmates im gonna have when i enter Design School.

So do i have to learn all the basics beforehand before entering?



Answer
I'll tell you about my personal experience:

I really wanted to get into fashion design but had very little sewing experience. I was pretty good at sketching ideas but that's about it. I did hand sew a Halloween costume for myself that turned out alright but nothing all that professional. I decided to apply to FIT - it was insane. There were about 50 other people all waiting in a big room where we all had to draw an outfit right then. Then we each got to go up to this table of about 5 people for an "interview" - it lasted about 5 minutes. They flipped through my portfolio of sketches, glanced at the photo of the costume I made, smiled, and moved on to the next person. Needless to say, I didn't get in. Most of the people there seemed to be VERY prepared. Some had full on elaborate costumes and couture dresses that they pulled out of bags. Others had huge portfolios of fashion drawings and photographs of their work. If you are planning on applying to a high-end fashion school in a place like New York, I suggest you do LOTS of preparing. Not to be discouraging, but it is very competitive and I regret not doing more. I ended up taking a few sewing courses at the local community college and realized that making clothes is not for me. Most fashion schools expect you to know how to use an industrial machine right away. They even told me that at the interview. When I said I didn't know how to use one, I could tell I lost my chance right then.

Well that's just what happened to me. If you are REALLY good you might be able to get away with not knowing how to use one, but make sure every other part of your skills are very good. Or maybe take a few sewing courses ahead of time - it will really pay off in the end. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What did you carry everyday in high school?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment