Friday, February 28, 2014

What to do with an autistic girl?

Q. My mom works with an autistic girl after school for 3 hours. She is 12 or 13, I forget, but enjoys activities of a 4-6 year old...She loves watching Nick Jr. and cartoons like Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony. She also likes to bake little things like fudge and chocolate molds. She is allergic to Red 40 and cant have a lot of chocolate because it will make her C.R.A.Z.Y.
She has severe autism btw. What are some fun things we can do with her?


Answer
Uhm...
Play a board game!
Fingerpainting! (Or normal painting if you prefer.)
Make some puppets out of socks or paper bags or something.
Make some papercraft http://dltk-kids.com/
A scavenger hunt could be fun!
Play something like tag or hide and seek.
Read some books to her.
Dress up?
Draw on the pavement with some chalk.
Baking sounds like a good idea since she likes it. Maybe decorated biscuits/cookies? Or icecream! http://crafts.kaboose.com/coffee-can-ice-cream.html
Colouring? http://www.kids-n-fun.com/coloringpages/kleurplaat_Strawberry-Shortcake_200.aspx http://tygerbug.deviantart.com/art/84-Page-My-Little-Pony-Book-217014036
If all else fails,watch some a cartoon like My Little Pony? http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL92BB5C005CEFFF89

What to do over summer break?




Ana


I'm 14 years old, and live in Illinois. I can't go outside really because I live in an apartment, and the weather isn't nice enough to even go swimming in the pool the apartment provides for us. I'm a writer, but I don't want to sit at home and write the entire day. I love to read, but my mom works late so I can't go and get my library card. What can I do? I don't wanna sit in front of the t.v. or computer like many other kids do. I'm not active, so try not to suggest running or biking expeditions.
I just want to add, that I am not rich. We barely have enough money to do anything. Yes my mom gets child support and paychecks, but that goes to more important things.
Another thing I forgot to add, is that one week is going to be dedicated to Child Care meaning that I will be babysitting little kids too young to join Vacation Bible School. I got my two aunts (who are my age) to help. I already have some other language, and I canât start a business because the place I live is dead. Nothing happens and no one likes to buy from kids businesses.



Answer
That is a really good question! I understand how frustrating this can be, as I used to live in an apartment too. As you said you love to read and write, you can always do this for PART of the day. That will help some of the time go by.

Also, you can try some crafts. I love Bandanna Purses. You can buy bandannas at almost any dollar store or department store. Purchase two of them. Lay the bandannas out, wrong sides together, lining up edges as best as possible. Using fabric shears, cut 1" around entire bandanna "sandwich" in one piece and set it aside to use as the handle. Then cut a slit every 3/4" cutting up to the most inner printed square on the bandanna on 3 sides of the bandanna. You will be cutting out the corners and discarding these small squares of fabric. Beginning at one of the corners, take one of the fringes from the top and one from the bottom and tie them together in a double knot. Tie one on each corner. Continue tying all around except for the top. This will be left open. To make the handle, cut each long scrap into two equal pieces. Discard one piece and braid the other three together knotting at each end. Knot an end to each side of the bag. Iron the top fringes down on each side.

You can also learn something. Go online and print out an article about juggling, or sign language. This is a great way to occupy your time, and it's something fun to show your friends when you get back to school. Really work hard at it until you perfect it!

Start a Business (With approval from your mom!). Maybe you love kids, so you can spend some time baby siting. Or maybe you love dogs, you could start a Dog Walking Business. Or sell some of your crafts that you make, and offer your talents you learned above. There are thousands of possibilities. Mow lawns, paint birdhouses, read to kids.... Do something that you enjoy. Not only will you be having fun, you will be making money!

You can also cook or bake if it's okay with your mom. There are lots of recipes you can find online, and maybe your mom would let you walk down to the grocery store to buy ingredients. MY favorite thing to do is to make cupcakes. Vanilla, chocolate, carmel, you choose! A simple vanilla is always a good starter, and you can add flavors to it. For example, I made a vanilla cupcake, and added carmel syrup to it. Or you can add fresh strawberries, or blueberries. When you are done, you can decorate them! These creations always are fun, and you can even sell them.

If you are really bored, try some of these sites. You can also go to some of the craft and baking sites if you choose to do something else. Have a great summer!

BORED:

http://www.bored.com/boredthings/

http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~jimg/reading/bored.html

http://listsgalore.blogspot.com/2009/08/150-things-to-do-when-youre-bored.html (my favorite!)

CRAFTS:

dltk-kids.com

http://familycrafts.about.com/

RECIPIES:

http://www.cupcakerecipes.com/

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/desserts/cookies/Main.aspx




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What to do with an autistic girl?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment