Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I'm looking for a hiking baby carrier?




Alice


My daughter is 13 months - 22 lbs and still isn't walking. But, my husband and I love to hike. We are looking for a good/inexpensive hiking baby carrier. Preferably one for the back. Any thoughts or suggestions?


Answer
We had a Kelty Pathfinder Carrier that we got at REI eons ago. We loved that in addition to being adjustable for the child, it was really easy to switch the torso length of the backpack so my husband and i could trade off carrying. Walk around a store with your child in tow and see how it feels. A padded hipbelt and auto kickstand are must-haves, but other features we liked were the removable/easily foldable sunshade (great for wind and minor drizzle too), a padded front bar - you'd be amazed how easily your child will sleep back there, zippered pockets on the belt and shoulder straps so we could easily access items on the trail without removing the backpack (snacks, gps, phone), The zip off backpack for storage worked great so when we were hiking together we could each carry some of the load, but if either of us was hiking alone with the child (or the other one was carrying gear as we backpacked) we could have the essentials (diaper, change of clothes, food, first aid kit) with the baby. I'd search Craigslist for a good one at a discount rather than buy a new one that has less features or is cheaper.

Hints: A small hand mirror in the front hipbelt is great for checking on the baby while hiking (Is she still wearing her hat? Is she sleeping?) Sometimes you want the sunshade as a barrier to prevent hair pulling... if your little lady is anything like my second (not a problem with my first).

Has anyone actually backpacked through Europe?




MMM


What did it cost approximately--the whole amount, or what you averaged monthly, weekly, or even daily?

Did you bring a significant other and/or child with you? If you did bring a child, how young? If you didn't, do you think it is feasible?

What kind of places did you stay in? Hostels?

Did you mostly hike? How much are train trips or ferries? Can you get bicycles there?

If you don't want to answer every question, I would very much appreciate any info or links to relevant information. My husband and I are seriously considering just selling everything and going rather than stay here and struggle during this horrible recession (our respective careers have been hard hit by layoffs, lack of available work, and reduced hours). If we stay here and struggle, we will end up spending all our savings and have nothing to show for it. If we go, I'm figuring our expenses will be very much reduced and we will be able to leave the majority of our savings in the bank. I want to live life and be positive rather than be oppressed by a financial crises. This would be a huge adventure for our family--we are experienced travelers, but we rarely vacation for longer than a week or two. I want to go long term--6 months to a year. We do, obviously, want to bring our son, who is 4. He is big, sturdy, healthy, athletic, social, and fearless.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.



Answer
I backpacked through Europe and spent about a year living there. I made a website on how to save money while traveling based on my experience.

http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Easy-Ways-to-Save-Money-While-Traveling-In-Europe

I do not have kids, but I can tell you that it will significantly increase your cost because you can not stay at a hostel with your son. 90% of hostels require all people who stay there to be over 18. They usually do not have private rooms or locks on the doors and they can not be responsible for a child. You will have to stay at hotels which can be much more expensive for the same quality you will get at a hostel.

I took the Eurail everywhere and walked when in the cities. You can rent bicycles in just about any city, but again many companies are hesitant to allow a young child to ride a bike in a busy city street or off terrain.

Good luck :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm looking for a hiking baby carrier?
Rating: 95% based on 9768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment